Dienstag, 20. Juni 2017

Pencil Holders - Knitter's Version

I like my stuff to state - loud and clear - that I am a knitter. That's why I sometimes decorate items in my home with pieces of my knitting. This was also the case with these pencil holders. In true recycling fashion I used old tin cans as basis - I painted them, knitted a few small pieces using old yarn leftovers to fit them and glued the knitting to the cans. The first ones were knitted in random lace style which creates an organic look.
I really love how they turned out. The finished pieces look very stylish on your desk ... and of course they can be used to hold some of your knitting equipment as well :)


Creative Commons License
This work by Knitting and so on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.



Materials
  • old tin cans or old glass jars
  • acryllic paint
  • yarn (leftovers?)
  • knitting needles appropriate for the yarn
  • craft glue

Techniques ...
... if you like the random lace look of the purple containers
Alternatively, you can just knit your piece with your preferred CO and BO and in any stitch pattern you like (e.g. plain garter stitch) and sew the edges together.


How-To
  • Clean containers and remove labels (this blogpost by The Creek Line House explains how to do this without residue).
  • Paint them with acryllic paint in your favorite color - I painted two coats on the outside and one on the inside.
  • Measure your containers (height and circumference) and knit a piece that fits these measurements. I did plain garter stitch stripes (the tins painted white) and a few random lace pieces (the tins painted purple). I have written a tutorial on how to knit random lace a few years ago - you can find it here.
  • If you've knitted a lace piece (random or otherwise), be sure to block it to size. It will look much nicer than before. I you've knitted a different stitch pattern, you may skip the blocking part - I did not block the garter stitch pieces.
  • If you haven't grafted your piece, sew ends together to form a tube, pull it over your container and glue the knitted piece to your container. Let the glue dry and you're done.


4 Kommentare:

  1. Very pretty! This is a unique way to decorate accessories for your home. I would have thought that the 'random lace' piece was crochet. So creative!
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you ♥ ♥ ♥
      I do like random lace, because it's fun to knit. But you can use crochet pieces to decorate these containers as well.

      Löschen